… because I know there is a world beyond the Red State Hell of S.G. and the brainless, McMansion-dwelling human Bratz dolls and gangsta-wanabes that surround me. I just have to remind myself that it’s only a few more months before I can flee this particular circle of Hell and escape to a place where:
- Books are for reading, not for burning
- People pay more attention to my brains than my boobs, my purported sexuality, or my parent’s bank account
- My purported sexuality isn’t even an issue
- People my age actually think about things that matter instead of just parroting their parents, who are parroting Papa Bear O’Reilly or Grizzly Mama Palin
- O’Reilly, Palin, Beck and their lot are justly regarded as morons
- Jon Stewart is acknowledged and worshipped as the god that he is
That’s not too much to ask, is it?
But until then, good people of the internet, I ask you to keep me sane. Remind me that there’s a THERE out there. That I won’t always have to put up with girls whose highest aspiration in life is to be Paris Hilton. That there are places where casual, reflexive racism isn’t the norm. That people actually care about politics, injustice, equality… things that matter. That there are people out there who actually have more than two brain cells to rub together.
Help me, Internet, you’re my only hope!